Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Spaghetti Carbonara

 Another week has started with Spaghetti Carbonara.  This pasta is definitely my speciality and I started my history of trial and error as young as 14 or 15 year old.  It's every kids' favorite spaghetti and probably one the most eaten spaghetti in Japan.  I remember my best friend from high school always used to order Carbonara in a popular Italian diner Saizeriya.  It's a simple pasta with only 4 ingredients, yet there are some crucial techniques to obtain perfect texture and rich creaminess without giving yourself awful heartburn after meal. 

Trying to set off cheesy pasta, I had a big bowl of green salad on the side.  I made Honey Mustard Dressing as always because three bins of mustard are waiting to be used up quickly but I don't have many ideas to use mustard creatively...spareribs? steak sauce?   Let's see what I come up with the coming days...

-Mar. 17 grocery shopping € 8.47/ € 121.71 left 

Ingredients(serves 2)
200g/7oz Spaghetti
2 egg yolks
2/3 cup heavy cream (15-20% fat is ideal)
1/3 cup law fat milk
1/2 cup Parmiginano Reggiano
150g bacon/5.3oz panchetta
salt&pepper to taste

Directions
1. Slice bacon into strips (or cut into cubes if you prefer).  Separate egg yolk from white.  Grate Parmigano cheese.
2. In a bowl, combine egg yolks, heavy cream, milk, cheese, salt&pepper* and set aside.
3. Cook spaghetti as package instruction.
4. Meanwhile, cook bacon in a skillet until slightly crispy but still chewy.
5. In the same skillet put cooked spaghetti and cream mixture.  Immediately turn off the heat.  Stir to combine for about 20 sec.  
*Omit salt if the bacon is salty enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment