Sunday, March 9, 2014

English Tea Sandiwiches / Bulgur with Zuccini


 OK, I'm a few days behind in updates but will try to catch up.  Last Thursday I had a friend over for lunch and made classic English sandwiches; egg&cucumber, tuna salad and ham&cheese.  I sometimes get irresistible cravings for egg sandwich as my mother used to make me a lot since I was a little girl.  They're also most classic and popular choice for lunch at Japanese convenience stores such as seven-eleven, Lawson, Family-mart and etc.  This soft and fluffy Japanese "Pan De Mie" type of white bread is something I never thought I would miss as I moved to Germany, where all other kinds of bread are just excellent.  I don't see them much in local bakeries, and the only industrial ones you can get at supermarket are crumbling and don't have very good taste.  Would it be because they have a preference on hard and chewy bread??  A note for next time; to wrap my sandwiches in a plastic wrap and let it sit for a while so they get more moist! 

Being still full from the big and long lunch, I just wanted something simple with veggies for dinner and made myself Bulgur with Zucchini (while husband eating Panuchos from the night before with a big smile!)  Bulgur is made from 100% whole wheat and has many health benefits; rich in fiber,vitamins and minerals, and it's low GI food.  I also love that it's quick to prepare!  You can make a nutritious meal when you don't have time, u
sing your favorite veggies.

-Mar. 6 grocery shopping € 2.57/ € 193.76 left
Ingredients (serves 2-3)
1 1/2 Bulgur
1 3/4 cup chicken stock
2 cup water
2 tbsp. olive oil
1/2 small onion/shallot
1 zucchini
1/2 tsp. paprika powder
salt&pepper    

Directions
1. Bring chicken stock and water to boil.  Add Bulgur and stir to combine, remove from heat, cover and let sit for 10 min. or so until Bulgur is cooked and has absorbed all the water.
2. Meanwhile, cut zucchini in bite sizes.  Heat olive oil in a skillet and cook onion/shallot over medium heat until translucent.
3. Add zucchini in a skillet and cook for another 2-3 min.
4. Add cooked Bulgur and season with paprika powder, salt&pepper. 


No comments:

Post a Comment