Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Chamonix

 The second day started in Chamonix-Mont-Blanc, a small border village of France to both Italy and Switzerland.  We were there for skiing but also had chance to try local specialities.  As this region of Savoie have a large amount of cheese production, you find many kinds of dishes with gourmet cheese such as Raclette, Fondue, La Tartiflette and etc.   
We had dinner at a local restaurant "La Caleche", a pretty wooden lodge of Alps ambiance with great superb food.  We chose prix fixe menu again here.  Pot-au-feu Terine plate was for me and Escargo(snail) for my husband, as starter!  Pork in Pot-au-feu was tender and the bouillon was just as perfect as like of grandma's, you never know how she makes it so tasty with so simple ingredients.
Cheese Fondue was the best I had in my life.  According to our local friend, they used only Comte Cheese.  Will definitely try back in Germany!!
12 hours-braised beef cheek tasted a little too much of red wine to my taste but I loved its sauce when I had it on potatoes and carrots.  Orange peel was giving a fresh flavor and I'd like to copy this idea next time I cook braised beef stew.
Panna cotta and Tarte tatin for dessert! They were both fruity and not too sweet so were perfect after heavy main course.  




I can't forget to mention about this wonderful cake "Mont-blanc" (picture on the left).  This is my all-time favorite cake, made with sponge base, whipped cream and chestnuts puree. Unfortunately I can't find this cake in Germany so I had to have it while I was in France.  I jumped for joy when I found it at the nearby bakery on the last day because I had given myself a mission "to have Mont-blanc on the foot of Mont-blanc".  It was DELICIOUS.(+AAA)  The harmonized flavor of chestnuts and rum(of the sponge base) is to die for.  

A bientot!
                                           


No comments:

Post a Comment