Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Zurek




Zurek is a polish soup using soured rye flour.  When we visited our friend Marek thereI was amazed at how delicious Polish soups were, and the best one was this Zurek.  I got a big jar of soured rye (zur/kwas) from Marek's mom and it had been sitting in my fridge for 2 months.  It was time for Zurek!!   I added potatoes, carrots and white beans on the second day in order to change the taste.

Ingredients
400ml Zur
6 cups water/vegetable broth (I used water with vegetable broth powder)
200g pork belly (chopped)
200g ham
salt&pepper

hard boiled egg
farmer's cheese (I used Greek goat cheese instead)

Directions
1. Cut pork belly and ham into small dice.  
2. Fry 1 in a large pot for 4-5 min.  Add water/vegetable broth and bring to boil. 
3. Add zur/zurek and simmer for 2-3 min.
4. Serve with hard boiled egg and cheese. 



-Jun. 3 grocery shopping € 7.55€ 234.80 left

No comments:

Post a Comment