Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Pumpkin Waffle


 When I was a child, my mother used to take me to a bakery called "Petit Maison" after school.  Their wooden racks were filled up with delicious snack pastries but I would always buy pumpkin waffle for my sweet-snack time.  It was one of the first bakeries in the town where I grew up and I remember jumping for joy just to get to visit the bakery.  I often dream of savoring this waffle but sadly I live 9,000km away.  The only way is to recreate the flavor in my German kitchen!  To tell the truth, it wasn't exactly what I was looking for, but I was happy about how tasty and delicate dessert it turned out to be :)     

Ingredients (makes 5-6 waffles)
...<for pumpkin cream>
200g/7oz squash/pumpkin
2 tbsp. sugar
2 tbsp. heavy cream
a few drops vanilla
1 tbsp. butter
1 1/2 cup heavy cream
3 tbsp. sugar

 ...<for waffle>
2 eggs
1/4 cup sugar
200ml milk 
200g/7oz all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
half a stick/55g butter

Directions
1. Make pumpkin cream.  Cut pumpkin in small dices.   Microwave cook or steam to cook through.
2. While it's hot, put pumpkin in a blender together with 2 tbsp. sugar, 1/4 cup heavy cream, butter and vanilla extract and puree.  Strain through a chinois or fine sieve and cool.
3. Beat well chilled heavy cream with a electric mixer, adding vanilla extract and sugar gradually (until you get stiff consistency).  
4. Combine pumpkin puree into whipped cream little by little.  Chill in the fridge for 2 hrs.
5. Make waffles.  Beat eggs in a bowl adding sugar gradually.  Add milk and mix well.  
Combine in strained flour and BP.  Finally add melted butter and mix.
6. Pour mix into slightly oiled waffle iron maker.   Set aside and cool.
7. Make sure both pumpkin cream and waffles are chilled well.  Make waffle sandwich with the cream and cut in half to serve.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment