Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Non-fried Karaage, Tamagoyaki & Onigiri



My parents, who are enjoying their retirement, sent me a photo in which they're having picnic on a beautiful lakeside with homemade lunch box.  There are some "regulars" in mom's lunchbox since my childhood; Onigiri (rice balls), Tamgoyaki (sweet egg rolls) and Karaage (fried chicken bites).  Those are the things I would chose for my last supper, if I had to, because they bring me back happy memories such as school trips, sport events, picnic...and I feel like my heart is filled with love after a few bites
I used a package of pre-mixed batter mixture.  What's special of this one is that it's made for microwave cooking.  Don't have to deep-fry to make fried chicken sounds like a revolutionary solution to reduce fat and calories, but to be honest, Karaage is tasty because it's fried with oil!!  So I think I should post the recipe for the regular deep-fried version.

Ingredients (serves 4-6)
500g/1.1lbs chicken (preferably thighs for the juiciness but I always use breast) 
a clove (about 20g/0.7oz) ginger
2 cloves garlic
2 tbsp. sake
2 tbsp. soy sauce
2/3 cup flour
2/3 cup corn starch
salt&pepper    

Directions
1. Cut chicken into bite size.  
2. Grate garlic.  Grate ginger also and squeeze to get the juice.
3. Put chicken in ziploc bag and combine with garlic, ginger juice, sake, soy sauce, salt&pepper.  Let it rest at least 30 min. 
4. Mix flour and corn starch well.  Coat chicken with the flour mixture and deep fry in oil (over medium heat) for 4-5 min.   

-May. 9 grocery shopping € 13.18/ € 171.13 left

No comments:

Post a Comment